RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kolm 135 install in CARF Mustang
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 07:42 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I've seen two of the Kolm motors now. I don't think I would hang the big dog off a mustang. Its just too big. Mine weighs 46 pounds dry. Thats more than CARF intended. its gonna be over 50 with the three cylinder. I would use the one I have or the smaller one. Mine was sloppy rich and it flew very scale like. With it leaned out properly, gonna be pretty fast. So, I think the 100 would work. And you would save a tremendous amount of weight and more importantly... stress on the airframe with one of the smaller ones.. The 135 weighs more than a moki 250!

The 150 is a good 4" longer than mine. We put them side by side with the cowl off, should have taken a pic! You're gonna lose a lot of space to put electronics and the gas tank with the firewall that far back. Chris is planning on putting everything aft of the cockpit. That will work, but will be a pain to get to.

I know there are a bunch of the 150's flying successfully, but you asked my opinion... ;-) Could be dead wrong.

I really want to do a spitfire, and I will be ordering the 100. Absolutely love the motors, engineering, finish, and sound is phenomenal. The electric start is also a huge plus. I don't have anywhere near enough time on them to make a judgment about reliability, time will tell.
Thomas Gass might still have for sale a brand new Il100 for 1700 which would be perfect and a good price.