RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels
Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM
kultakala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I'm glad you got the Taranis, you sound like a guy that has no problem from what I see so far. Welcome to OpenTX as it says
Mine is saying "Welcome to Taranis" But OpenTX it is of course

Oh and I thought I might let you in on a nice product from RCTA... the Viper. It is a receiver controlled volume control unit. Plug it into a spare channel and plug the other end into your 3p volume knob plug on the units and you can control the volume from your TX. The only downside to those units is the requirement for PWM for control IMO. This limits you to 9ch with the FRSky system as I think the L9R is the highest PWM output from them, but make sure to get the X8R instead as it supports telemetry and if you use the receiver for something later on you might be able to capitalize on that and the RSSI output is good for FPV if you decide to with the tank.
Viper ? Never heard of it, i will have a look... but ASP2 and IBU3 allow volume control via the radio so...
I got a X8R and i dont know for sure but it should be possible to bind 2 X8R receivers at a time so you can have 16 channels. Or using a s-bus to PWM converter. Somewhere i read about it.

Unfortunately I haven't got to play with any of the boards (though I may have an ASP to play with soon) so I cant get anymore detail for you but to me one of the biggest issues is the half-stick commands.... I hate those so much, it is so hard to do them in the heat of battle. They can be mapped to the Taranis I'm sure so you could use the paddles or something to do the same or a switch, but it isn't the same. I would think hard on that idea, that would be one of the biggest questions for me.
I was looking at RCTA Forum and as far as i understand there is kind of a prepared setup file for Taranis and X9R(?) radio ´... all those "half-stick" commands (and even third stick commands) are bound to switches. The RCTA guy explains the radio setup in some youtube videos, i really liked that.
Also that there are a lot of sound options... and the sound board is of very good quality it seems. But not everything is like i wish on the ASP2, so...

Maybe i have to get all 3 boards... Or build my own ? Hmmm...