RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbines, safety and complacency
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Can not imagine why anyone starting a model gas turbine would NOT want to monitor a GSU, telemetry to otherwise, to ensure that the start is progressing normally AND to check that the idle egt is normal.

Internal deterioration of the engine always results in egt increase ( according to RR), first clue to something going or gone wrong !

When starting a fulsize engine. ALL engine parameters are most carefully monitored by both pilots with the handling pilot keeping his hand on the fuel control switches until the EGT is stabilised and falling.

Why don't we do likewise, it's not at all difficult.

And Jeremy is dead right, complacency ( acknowledged as the biggest threat to safety in the airline world) is present in truck loads and sooner or later it will bite us.

David.
+1
Another thing to carefully watch after start up is the idle rpm and pump voltages. Fluctuations in these parameters are often the first sign of a fuel pump that is about to seize or not working as it should, or a fuel system that is not set up well. I connect my gsu for every start and shut down. Takes no effort and might save you a jet as it did for me once with a fuel pump that was picking up.