View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 04:33 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
"...

WHAT MYTH? It's never been disputed that he was flying a DRONE!. (not to my knowledge anyway)

Keep on SPINNIN'!! ..."

Astro
That's basically the problem right there, you don't know. Not to your knowledge....exactly. You're so focused on responding to everyone of my posts and continuing on the anti spin campaign drama, you're not taking the time to actually educate yourself. In this case, you're just wrong. I don't expect you to admit it, and I don't expect anything less than a rant/response, but really, spend some more time reading up on it. Trappy wasn't flying a "drone" as you call it. He was flying a fixed wing electric powered aircraft. A flying wing. That's what he was known for, and still is, but MR are certainly part of his company now. I even gave you the name of the model, but I apologize for noting the wrong model. It was actually a Ritewing Zepher, my bad! In that particular video (the one he was busted for), and in most others, you can actually see the shadow of the aircraft when he flies by (1:14 minute mark). It was not autonomous, and not equipped with GPS, it was flown by hand the whole time. Do you even know what University he was flying at? Did you ever read the FAA complaint? I mean, it's all in there. Where did you come up with this "it's never been disputed he was flying a drone" thing? I'm pretty sure the FAA would dispute it.....lol.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what he was flying, the fact is he was doing so recklessly, I only point out the fact he was flying an aircraft to counter yet more erroneous information spread, all in the attempts to vilify the horrible "drones". That some folks who detest the drones won't see it that way is not surprising. These are the same folks who complain about how many are out there, and how easy they are to fly, yet in the next breath say they aren't popular. Go figure.

The reality is though that there are plenty of reckless and irresponsible pilots flying MRs, as well as fixed wing aircraft. Long before MR came along guys were posting videos of their fixed wing airplanes doing silly things, like flying at 10,000 feet through clouds, or buzzing the Brooklyn Bridge, or Statute of Liberty. Those weren't drones, they were airplanes.

I get the desire to pin it all on drones, I really do. Folks like a simple reason, all nice and easy, wrapped up in a bow! Drones are the perfect bad guy. Dig a little deeper though, and you'll see the issue is a bit more nuanced than that.

Let me know if you come up with another case like Trappy's that got the ball rolling on FAA involvement. I think I'm pretty much up to speed on the issue, as you said before "you'll just have to trust me, I have a lot of experience". I'm not aware of a single case that predates 2011 or 2012 that the FAA was involved with, specifically with Drones, ie MR.