RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
That's basically the problem right there, you don't know. Not to your knowledge....exactly. You're so focused on responding to everyone of my posts and continuing on the anti spin campaign drama, you're not taking the time to actually educate yourself. In this case, you're just wrong. I don't expect you to admit it, and I don't expect anything less than a rant/response, but really, spend some more time reading up on it. Trappy wasn't flying a "drone" as you call it. He was flying a fixed wing electric powered aircraft. A flying wing. That's what he was known for, and still is, but MR are certainly part of his company now. I even gave you the name of the model, but I apologize for noting the wrong model. It was actually a Ritewing Zepher, my bad! In that particular video (the one he was busted for), and in most others, you can actually see the shadow of the aircraft when he flies by (1:14 minute mark). It was not autonomous, and not equipped with GPS, it was flown by hand the whole time. Do you even know what University he was flying at? Did you ever read the FAA complaint? I mean, it's all in there. Where did you come up with this "it's never been disputed he was flying a drone" thing? I'm pretty sure the FAA would dispute it.....lol.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what he was flying, the fact is he was doing so recklessly, I only point out the fact he was flying an aircraft to counter yet more erroneous information spread, all in the attempts to vilify the horrible "drones". That some folks who detest the drones won't see it that way is not surprising. These are the same folks who complain about how many are out there, and how easy they are to fly, yet in the next breath say they aren't popular. Go figure.

The reality is though that there are plenty of reckless and irresponsible pilots flying MRs, as well as fixed wing aircraft. Long before MR came along guys were posting videos of their fixed wing airplanes doing silly things, like flying at 10,000 feet through clouds, or buzzing the Brooklyn Bridge, or Statute of Liberty. Those weren't drones, they were airplanes.

I get the desire to pin it all on drones, I really do. Folks like a simple reason, all nice and easy, wrapped up in a bow! Drones are the perfect bad guy. Dig a little deeper though, and you'll see the issue is a bit more nuanced than that.

Let me know if you come up with another case like Trappy's that got the ball rolling on FAA involvement. I think I'm pretty much up to speed on the issue, as you said before "you'll just have to trust me, I have a lot of experience". I'm not aware of a single case that predates 2011 or 2012 that the FAA was involved with, specifically with Drones, ie MR.
LOL.

I guess you will never get the fact that a fixed wing can be a drone. You can yammer on all you want about me not knowing the facts, but the reality is that you continue to play on words, dig your heels in the sand and refuse to acknowledge that it is the technology that allows drones to fly FPV, BLOS and autonomously that has allowed irresponsible use of drones to be called out by the public, the media and the FAA and in turn, our hobby to be regulated.

Yes, Trappy was flying a fixed-wing. I get Trappy was not flying his drone autonomously (I never claimed he was). He WAS flying FPV BLOS which is what separates his activity from traditional modeling and, in turn is why he was brought under scrutiny. Had he been flying within FAA/AMA guidelines, there would not have been an issue. Had his drone not been equipped with the technology that allowed him to fly irresponsibly, he simply would not have been able to do so. Cart before the horse? Chicken or the egg?

Now, before you go on and say that I "fear" change and technology, I will re-iterate my stance yet again for you. I am NOT against drones or technology. I think it is pretty cool and amazing. Since we can't remove either the human element, or the technology element, we must find a way to regulate how this technology and humans interface. It is my belief that the advent of this technology, its use, the operators who enjoy using it and its potential affect on the NAS, are so far removed from our traditional hobby it needs to be regulated separately and differently than our traditional operations and that the AMA is simply not structured or capable of managing, controlling and regulating such activities, not to mention the fact that most droners do not want to join the AMA (they are interested in droning, not flying, building, etc).

Droners want to drone? I have no issue with that whatsoever, I just don't believe that their actions should bring regulations on those of us that choose to operate in the same manner we have for 80 years, without any issues of disruption the NAS. They should advocate for themselves and use their own resources to do so, not ask to use the resources that those of us have accumulated over 80 years.

The facts support my opinions, and the vast majority agree with the essence of my stance. You can choose to believe what you want, but no matter how passionately you believe what you do, it does not change reality. Agree or disagree, I don't care. I will not continue to engage in a back and forth with you as long as you continue to spin the situation. I WILL, however, continue to point out your spin and flawed logic

Regards,

Astro