RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help to fix problem with a trailing link gear strut
Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 PM
mun_iz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to fix problem with a trailing link gear strut

Hi all,

I am facing a problem with the main struts on my CARF Ultra Flash and would appreciate advice to get it fixed. The struts are from a reputable manufacturer but somehow, it failed to work for me. I had written to the manufacturer since Monday but had yet to receive any replies and the weekends are coming =(. I hope to get it fixed so that I can get more flights this weekend.

I had the maiden flight for my Ultra Flash last weekend.The landing was smooth with no bounce, hard impact, etc..
However, I noticed after the maiden flight, both main strutsremained jammed in the bent position and will not straightened out. Please see photos.

I removed the spring on one of them to check and found the twolinks to be very tight. I also removed the set screw from the bottom link(the one that holds the wheel). There seem to be a lot of rubbing (either between the 2 links or between one of the link and the pin that holds them together)causing them not to move freely. The struts has no damage on them at all butthe links are somehow tight.

I am not able to dismantle the two links as I found thatthe links are held together by a pin (and not a bolt which I can undo). I am not sure if I can knock out the pin with a mallet and was concern about doing damage on it.

Can someone with experience dismantling such struts advice please?

Many thanks.

Isaac

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra_Flash_strut_01.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	2185532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra_flash_strut_02.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	2185533  

Last edited by mun_iz; 10-12-2016 at 05:06 PM.