RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Model plane crashes where there is no injury are a pretty untrackable event since if no one was injured , where would the "paper trail" record begin ? Sure if someone's injured there is medical treatment and thus physical evidence of a mishap , but what of the thousands of no injury crashes , I highly doubt anyone who slams their .40 or .60 sized sport flyer into a tree is gonna report themselves for further scrutiny if there is no other proof beyond some shredded balsa and maybe a tree full of birds laughing their fool heads off at watching what the big ol dumb loud bird just did .

I posted this to ask , how would such a database be compiled when no one would ever report anything that didn't cause a paper trail ?

To me there's a nexus of issues around:
- size and speed of the aircraft
- location of crash WRT people
- location of crash WRT flying site property
- any injury
- any damage to cars, buildings, etc.

Large and fast aircraft represent considerable kinetic energy and thus pose significant risk if they crash into people and/or property. Turbines also carry a significant risk of starting wildfires. I'm baffled as to why we're not collecting data to find out just how often they crash.

As for location, I think in light of the aircraft going into/over crowds (WOD B29, IRCHA heli into crowd this year, B2 jet crash into pits not long ago), we would be wise to capture these as well. Given proximity to people, we should probably record info about distance of flight line from people, whether recommended distances were waived, etc. Ideas is to figure out if current standoff distances are appropriate.

With respect to injury reporting, I think it would be wise to collect info on events that cause anything more than minor injury. Some will ask "what's minor?" Fortunately, there's some good references out there, for example the OSHA recordable reporting criteria. Not say that's the one to use, but it's one that could be used. Anything that would be an OSHA recordable must be reported to AMA, otherwise not.

Damage? First, it would be damage other than the aircraft itself. Why not just use the same criteria already in use for part 107?

Last, how do you ensure reports get made? Well, that's tough and there's no easy answer. To make it work, there must be some consequence for not reporting (and getting caught), that is far worse than the embarrassment of reporting. I've got ideas, but it would start a royal firestorm here, so I'll hold off.