RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA and the World Drone Championchips in Hawaii.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:33 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Astro ,

I just can't wait to hear the excuse of why it's OK to brush the spotter requirement aside just because it's a "burdensome" hinderance to these drones zipping around the woods like that ? Now , correct me if I'm wrong but Hawaii IS a US state , right ? And that AMA rules are supposed to be being followed at AMA sponsored events here in the US ? And people wonder why Drone flying , BLOS drone flying more specifically , is looked down on here by most respondents ?

So since we can just go and toss the spotter requirement out the window when we see fit , I am led to wonder how many OTHER AMA rules are just SO confining for the flying camera boys that they don't have to follow them either ?

It's darned near impossible to practice "see and avoid" when no one has actual eyes on the RC craft being flown BLOS , now ain't it ?
I think you mentioned your concerns about this in another thread. I see it happen ALL the time (FPV operations with no spotter), both at my flying field (AMA required) as well as out in the general public arena (not sure those who are flying away from the field are AMA or not). When I have reminded those at my field that they require a spotter, they get upset, brush it off and continue with their activities. It is clear that they either do not know the rules, or don't care. Either way, it is a problem. It is part of the reason I believe that the AMA needs to provide some separation from the drones. It (the AMA) is simply NOT set up to be able to monitor flying activities to assure compliance to the rules, yet those that don't follow the rules and make the six o'clock news DO reflect on the AMA's reputation and the general public's and FAA's feelings about RC activity.

Regards,

Astro