RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA and the World Drone Championchips in Hawaii.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
I think you mentioned your concerns about this in another thread. I see it happen ALL the time (FPV operations with no spotter), both at my flying field (AMA required) as well as out in the general public arena (not sure those who are flying away from the field are AMA or not). When I have reminded those at my field that they require a spotter, they get upset, brush it off and continue with their activities. It is clear that they either do not know the rules, or don't care. Either way, it is a problem. It is part of the reason I believe that the AMA needs to provide some separation from the drones. It (the AMA) is simply NOT set up to be able to monitor flying activities to assure compliance to the rules, yet those that don't follow the rules and make the six o'clock news DO reflect on the AMA's reputation and the general public's and FAA's feelings about RC activity.

Regards,

Astro
If there is a problem at your field, it should be dealt with at your field. If your fellow members are ignoring you that's something you need to deal with. Perhaps a new safety officer is needed, or a more effective leadership team assuming you brought the matter to their attention. If someone keeps breaking the rules and isn't held accountable, the problems will persist.

More calls for and us and them approach, ie Separation isn't going to solve any purported problem. The AMA isn't set up to monitor flying activities at fields now to ensure compliance of rules, how is separating going to make a difference? The AMA has already provided guidance on the MR usage, just as they have on Turbines. Ultimately it's up to members to comply or not, the AMA can't be everywhere all the time. They were however at the Governors Island event, and currently at this one. Other than someone watching a video and complaining, I haven't heard any other complaints. Looking forward to more videos and updates on the event. The location looks fantastic.