RCU Forums - View Single Post - MonoBot: Aerial Robotics Project
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 11:31 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been a while since the last post. It was a challenging period trying to figure out below Arduino tasks:

1. Read/write PWM signal,
  2. Read/write PPM signal,
  3. Convert PWM to PPM,
  4. Build IR distance sensor,
  5. Read IR sensor signal,
  6. Mix PWM & IR signals, etc…

Frying 3 Arduino boards along the way and taking it slower than I usually do didn’t help with the delays. I tested many PWM, PPM codes, IR sensor configurations. One of the hardest tasks have been getting the Arduino board communicate with the flight controller. In the end, I kinda came up with a setup that MAY work. No guarantees here, tough task for an amateur like myself.

The latest setup has a DSM2 receiver which is not PPM. So I soldered the receiver to the Arduino digital pins to get rid of the excess cables. I preferred a PWM connection because if I use a PPM connection from the receiver, then I need to decode PPM to PWM, mix it with IR signals and re-code it into PPM to feed into the Multwii board. With PWM, I don’t need to de-code any PPM, instead get the 5 channels and process them separately.

I have 6 homemade IR sensors. I tried some electronic configurations that didn’t quite work, so came up with my own design. They can sense upto 30-35cm, which should be enough for the first tests.

I am using my old flight controller but, which I feed with one PPM cable.

Almost ready to install the new equipment on one of my MonoBots and start testing the sensors and revise the code to fit the unit. I am planning to place 2 of the sensors looking up and down. This way, if successful, it will avoid obstacles in all directions.

Will keep on posting as the project progresses. Thx…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5706.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2186914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5705.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2186915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5704.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	1.99 MB