RCU Forums - View Single Post - Using a vinyl cutter to cut covering
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 04:13 AM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are several tools that I use over and over in the drawing program. To demonstrate how they are useful lets go through the process of creating a set of templates for the top of the wing.
One of the tools I frequently use is Back minus front. With 2 objects selected the front object shape is removed from the rear object. The 2 objects then meet perfectly along the same line.
To simplify making the 3 color trim on the top of the wing I will start with a rough drawing and then extend the top red down to the bottom of the yellow. Only that curve needs to look good right now.

The basic wing outline (with wing tube )

Red added

The plan is for the color stripes outboard to be 10 mm wide with a 4 mm gap between them. The inboard section just has to have a nice sweeping curve to them. I either add guide lines at the right intervals or draw rectangular pieces to act as guides with heights of 4 and 10 mm
Then add 4 mm stripes and curve the inboard section using the drawing programs node edit features.

Spacers drawn

Next draw 2 perfectly horizontal lines that are 4 mm wide.

Curve them to a pleasing shape marking the 3 sections of trim

Now is where the back minus front comes in by subtracting the 4 mm stripe you will have three areas of red. When performing the back minus front function in Corel the front piece is deleted so I often duplicate it in case I need it again which I probably will when I extend the edges of my piece over the wing root to make my templates next. One Nuance in Corel is that the 4 mm line is still just a line and I have to convert the outline to an object which is a choice under the Object menu.
Here the red has been separated into my 3 sections (spacer rectangles still in place)

Now just right click to break the curves apart and recolor the bottom 2. Basic design is finished. If you are not happy go back and tweak it.

The graphics program will also let you simply mirror your work and create the left wing in one click.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wing with tube.jpg
Views:	2542
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	2187885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing with red.jpg
Views:	2518
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2187887   Click image for larger version

Name:	with spacers.jpg
Views:	2501
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2187888   Click image for larger version

Name:	with 4 mm lines.jpg
Views:	2544
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	2187889   Click image for larger version

Name:	lines curved.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	2187890   Click image for larger version

Name:	red seperated 3 sections.jpg
Views:	2622
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	2187891   Click image for larger version

Name:	trim finished.jpg
Views:	2497
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	2187892   Click image for larger version

Name:	WING MIRRORED.jpg
Views:	2533
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	2187893  

Last edited by Stuart Chale; 10-28-2016 at 04:15 AM.