RCU Forums - View Single Post - DSMX hacked?
Thread: DSMX hacked?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 09:40 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I normally try to stay out of discussions like this. But this one is indeed intriguing, and in some aspects just outright scary. While I don't fly a radio using DSMx I have attended and covered plenty of events where I have seen many large models and jets that use JR and Spectrum equipment. It's really scary to think that somebody could at the least most take control of the plane and steal it away from the pilot, and at the least just block the signal and bring the model down..... quite possible where it could endanger spectators viewing the event.

Even worse was this article that I just found while researching more on this subject. Here's the title (and a link to the article):
How to take down irritating drones without shooting them out of the sky

I'm not going to enter into a petty back and forth argument that can sometimes occur when we get into subject matters such as this. That is not the purpose of my post here. I posted here simply to point out that their are people posting in respected places (ZDNet has been around for a long time and is on my list of IT sources that I use to keep myself updated for my daily job, and I've been using it for at list the last 10-12 years) to use this new found exploit for nefarious purposes such as bringing down a drone that's bothering you in your neighborhood. And you can even push that further that it could be used to do something bad, say it could damage another aircraft such as a commercial air liner, and the owner of the drone would be held responsible because it's his name on it. I think it would be really hard to prove that somebody hijacked him.

Now there is one good thing that does come from this. It does allow for a geo-fencing of an area, to at least keep out DSMx radios at least. If you had a no fly zone you could use the technology to take over and land and DSMx controlled aircraft. Here's an article from Business Insider that does talk about how this could be beneficial to law enforcement and other agencies to control overflight of drone.

There's now a way to hijack nearly any drone mid-flight using a tiny gadget

Anyway, I just wanted you guys to see this article. And I've said my piece. I'm going to gracefully bow out and let the discussion continue.

Ken

Last edited by RCKen; 10-29-2016 at 09:44 AM.