RCU Forums - View Single Post - DSMX hacked?
Thread: DSMX hacked?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 10:05 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff, thanks for the links. Technology can be a double edged sword, that's for sure. Here is a comment from someone who actually did the "hack". Looks like all protocols are susceptible.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...&post=32136399

"To be clear, ALL the current RC systems are vulnerable to this timing injection attack. I was the one who picked DSMx as our first target because it's the most popular system, my favourite and the one I currently use for all my drones, planes, copters, boats and cars. The attack hardware was a teensy and a cyrf6936 transceiver from my friend at 1bitsquared.com, but we could have just as easily implemented it using the same teensy and a ML2724 to attack DJI and Futaba systems. The issue is that all the RC systems from ALL the manufacturers count on frequency hopping obfuscation to "hide" their broadcasts which are easily gathered en masse and reversed with an SDR, or by using a logic analyzer on their transmitters, there is no cryptographically secure authentication layer on any of the current systems. This timing attack is not difficult, just requires some low level radio and embedded system knowledge and about $100 in parts, and is only the tip of the iceberg in the potential attacks available on current systems. Timing is the low hanging fruit that we picked to attack and demonstrate first. We have further demonstrations planned and Would be glad to talk to any manufacturer about securing their gear. Jonathan will be us in drone hijacking as a lab excercise in his CanSecWest SDR Dojo training course next March, and I highly recommend this course for anyone interested in this area. There are many places this kind of system could be used to detect drones flying in restricted areas (because the attack system can also be used as a drone detection system passively) and to take them over and make them perform controlled landings in safe areas, rather than all the crude systems proposed so far, and we have even more interesting systems, demonstrations and applications planned for future presentations, with the next one likely being at the CanSecWest conferece after Jonathan's training. An interesting side note is that you can actually use a second attack system to hijack the first hijacker, so this gets complicated very quickly"