RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:56 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
With fpv racing a racer wants an experienced pilot as their spotter preferably another fpv racing pilot. That person will be familiar with the course, and will know and understand the specific race rules ,how things work and are run. A racing pilot,in my opinion, would not want someone from the audience or the sidelines spotting them..............it just wouldn't be good for the pilot and it wouldn't be safe..
Hi Brian,

From watching just one event aired by ESPN, the National Drone Championships held at Governors Island, NYC, I can see that safety was well considered by the organizers. The primary safety action taken IMHO was provision of a safety net, apparently of bird netting, separating spectators from the race course and also apparently in place at the initiative of the organizers as I know of no AMA Safety Code Doc 550 mention of that. I just see no incremental contribution to safety in such an environment by the AMA spotter rule, and would like you expand a bit on why you think flying drone races wouldn't be safe without it.