RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rebuilding this Armortek Gamo Halftrack
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

OH-BA-KAY-BEE!!! I got this half track going so figured it was time for an update. I installed the new drive motors, drive sprockets (with new rollers and tires), front steering servo, linkages, and repainted the body. Installed a cooling fan up front in the radiator grill to blow on the Sabertooths under the front hood. Put grease everywhere it'd never been and needed. Tightened up the roadwheel bushing, stuff like that.

I ordered some Y receiver cables and the V-Tail Mixer. I first installed the VTM but that didn't work cause everything was jerky. Then I tried the Y cables... about the same thing.

SO I emailed the Sabertooth Help Line, explained what I had, wanted to do, what I'd done, and nothing worked. They came back and said OOHH NOOO! the Y and VTM cables shouldn't be used with the Sabertooth! (..oops...) They helped a LOT on how to set the ESC switches (once I explained how this half track operated.)

On driving it, the radio right lever is forward/reverse (with Turnigy speed regulator) with lever side to side front wheel steering. The left lever side to side is TRACK steering like a tank but ya got to GENTLY move the lever or a neutral turn could happen. The left lever up down is the winch.

It runs fine AND (surprising me!) the steering on pavement can be done with just the front wheels. Turns pretty good! BUT in sand or gravel (as you can imagine), or if the front wheels are off the ground (when driving up on the bench or like in the last sand picture) and ya need a little assistance, then lightly do the left side to side lever and it's like the actual vehicle.

ALSO, the winch is EXTREMELY SLOOOW. I mean, when I went to play it out some, for the longest time pulling the cable, I didn't think it was working! That was a waste of time putting a 2X12 ESC on just for THAT. I could've (still might!) just put a manual switch in IF I'd ever even USE the winch.

And see how much the two Sabertooth ESCs take up compared to the original system in the post above? And do the same thing. I use Sabertooths in two of my tanks and they're GREAT.

I wasn't impressed with the speed or handling (in sand) when I first took it out but it's kinda grown on me. Not as fast as I thought it'd be and the steering takes getting used to, but it's 'interesting'... we'll see if anything breaks... Still have to paint camo, put the windshield and stuff on, but give me something to do this winter.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2190066   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	2190067   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2190068   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005S.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2190069   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2190070   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2190071   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2190072   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2190073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2190074  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 11-15-2016 at 03:27 PM.