RCU Forums - View Single Post - Firebird JET Trainer: Another Dr Honda budget build.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:34 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Yes... the heat shielding is just aluminum tape. As far as using it on other models... I use it all the time. It's on the belly of my shock Jet... it's on the underside of the elevator on my Falcon... and I use it internal on other models to protect wires, and fiberglass.

I haven't measured the flaps yet. They go down to a point where they start to bind. It's roughly 50 degrees. I'm guessing 15 to 20 degrees for take-off. But once I do a final "Set-up".. I will check the angle of the suggested movement.
50 degrees sounds right, I suspect you will need that much drag to land with idle thrust. The 20mm in the instructions did not sound right.

Good to know that you and others have used aluminium tape. I have previously used a ceramic sheet (it's like felt, about 1.5 mm thick).

On the subject of heat, have any of you used plastic fittings (clevises, ball joints, control horns) on the elevators? I have always used steel clevises onto steel control horns, just in case they melt. The film on the tailplane has never melted so I am probably over cautious.