RCU Forums - View Single Post - Firebird JET Trainer: Another Dr Honda budget build.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boomerang: Yep... I agree. I've been flying RC since the late 70's... and when turbines came around in the 90's... they were crazy expensive. AND because of that, there was almost an elitist feel to them. But now, since we have gone through a few generations of engines... and good used one can be bought relitivally cheap... there's no reason that the average modeler can't enjoy them. And, as you mentioned... there's no vibration, so in some ways, the model doesn't even need to be as strong.

I've built 7 jets since getting my waiver, and I don't think I have more than $2k into any one of them. (excluding my Transmitter) My actual "Trainer" jet was built for less than $1100. I got a very good used AMT for $700, and a Falcon 120 from NitroPlanes (on sale) for $90 !!!! Even the servos I put into it were ones I had sitting around.

AND... you hit the nail on the head about "Jumping on the band wagon with expensive accessories." The majority of the jets I've seen had carbon radio trays, digital sequencers, supper high end digital servos, digital air pressure gauges, and overly complicated power distribution/regulator systems. For safety, I run 2 Rx bat's... but I just used LiFe batteries, into a regular switch, and into the Rx. Most of the time, I build my own bubble tank, because it can be done for $10. (opposed to $50) and the majority of my servos are analog. Digital are nice, but they aren't needed. AND, they just pull more power, and add expense. You just need to make sure you have enough torque.

To me... I just like the sound and smell of a turbine.

Now... this jet is still $550 if you order one from General, but add a good used 60 sized engine... and it would still be around $1500. (assuming you have servos and other equipment on the shelf)

Now....

I test ran my Wren 44 in the airframe... and as expected, it fired up without any issues. (even from a dry system) It spun up... heard the propane "Pop"... and I watched the fuel go up the hose. And, as soon as it hit the engine.... the noise came up, and the HDT said... "Running". I've always been amazed on how quick this little engine goes from a start command, to running.

Anyway... There won't be a flight report for a while on this for a while. Yesterday was perfect, and hit the 70's (not normal for Nov in Pitt) but today it's getting cold... starting to rain... and will change to snow. And, tomorrow will be snowing. And, next weekend will be starting some Christmas things with the Family. I'll post when I can get a flight. (sorry)

Last edited by Dr Honda; 11-19-2016 at 05:45 AM.