RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbinator (V2) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 09:03 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up with a bare very low time airframe from a buddy.. It had the dreamworks gear setup and a 100 sized turbine and would not take off on the very well maintained 800 foot grass runway we sometimes use.. the grass is like Velcro there.. It is the slowest grass I have ever seen.. My gas corsair I can fly in tall grass at home with no problems-- and I mean tall enough you can see the track the prop cuts on takeoff and on landing with no problems, but when on the beautiful 800foot putting green will flip on its back in a heartbeat.... Anyway, the turbinator came in at 27 lbs so dry as I recall. It seemed heavy as heck for what it is to me but it did fly well.. I am thinking phase one is to take the dremel and open the wheel wells to go up 1" in diameter all around on the wheel size and put a 120-140 in it and fly it for a while. If I feel motivated I may put it on a diet and recover it as it looks like it is built like a small plywood tank.. I think bumping it up to 4" mains and a 3-1/4 nose gear would help a lot for longevity and hopefully let it perform on grass better. Should be a simple mod... Anyone running big wheels? and anyone put one on a diet yet?? So far the only jets that I have seen actually make a successful take off from the 800 foot grass were my CARF tutor with 4"1/2 wheels and a way overpowered eurosport 3d and he used a heck of a lot of the grass to get off.