RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire! Build Thread, i got mine!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:28 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bladebender
Have looked at 60 cc mustang by hanger 9 is that the one you have .
What do you think of it .Was going with a 35ra in my spitfire but after talking to you might buy 40fg saito . guess the 36 fg is no more
I had the FG-36 previously installed in the H9 150 size 81" WS Mustang. I looked at the H9 60cc Mustang at the LHS but the quality of the ARF was not what an H9 model should be so I passed on it and bought the TF ARF Mustang and installed the DLE 55RA.

With the FG-36 installed in the H9 30cc, the engine sits approximately 1 inch (25mm) more forward than most other engines. That is why I installed so little dead weight (13.5ozs) to achieve a CG of 129mm. The installation of the FG-40 would be the same as the FG-36. With the FG-36 installed 1 inch forward, the cowl has to be moved forward too to achieve the proper spacing between the spinner back plate and the front of the cowl. With the cowl moved 1 inch forward the result is a 1 inch gap between the back of the cowl and the access hatch. To hide the hatch gap, I made a shroud. The shroud does not interfere with hatch installation or removal; most folks don't even notice the shroud until I point it out to them.

I also had to install an air dam/spoiler at the leading edge of the fake carburetor scoop to draw more warm air out of the cowl warm air exit hole. Before installing the air dam I could fly for 5 or 6 minutes before the engine began showing signs of overheating. With the air dam installed the Spitfire has flown 12 minutes or more without any further heating issues.

See photos at link below, page 9, post # 209 for FG-36 installation.

See photos at link below, page 16, post # 398 for Air dam/spoiler installation.

Roger

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ot-mine-9.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...hanger-16.html