RCU Forums - View Single Post - T anyone?
Thread: T anyone?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 02:59 PM
troppo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK opening up an antique thread.......
The engine will be dummied up to look like a flathead, using ebay sourced pulleys and timimg belt for the right look for the supercharger. I`ve learned a heap in doing my research, they have 4 water pipes, 2 to the bottom of the radiator that each go to their own water pump and 2 that go from the head to the top of the radiator, the early units only had 3 exhaust ports on each side of the block and the big high performance mod (short of supercharging) was 3 carbs so i`ve managed to get three similar looking whipper snipper carbies to do the job.

I`ve decided to make my own front wheels, read a few articles about it and the two difficult bits will be the tyre and the rim, my little lathe is not quite big enough to hold a 6 inch rim, i`ve been thinking about using pvc pipe if i can set it on my lathe or on my mill to shape it. I`d love to be able to make it in alloy or steel but i dont have a bead-roller to do the job so thats a non starter.

I`ve got to trim the radiator and mount the dummy engine so i can cut the firewall clearances for the bell housing so i can locate the cowl and body before i can start working on the positioning of the pocketbike motor.I cant locate my rear axle until i can get the body positioned so the rear tyres are in the "correct" position.

I`ve got some aluminium solder so i can join up the cowl pieces, i just need to practice a little before i attempt it. Going to be interesting using .8 ali sheet

I`m having a few problems trying to work out my drive gear size, the motor has a 3.3:1 output ratio and so i`m having a hard time working out what my final drive cog tooth count should be, i read somewhere on one of these pages that a 6:1 final ratio is what your looking for. Does this mean i now need a 3:1 drive ratio or would a larger drive be better (remember this is a drag car, needs top end with a little bottom for launching).

OK waffling over (for now anyway lol), any thoughts you might have, words of wisdom or even just general guffaws at my attempts will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all
Troppo

Last edited by troppo; 12-03-2016 at 03:04 PM.