RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Smoke trail Charlie, welcome to the tread, or as they say in my adopted country, "Bienvenue aux Fil!" You'll find plenty of experienced help here.

I agree with acdii that an LT40 would be a good choice for a trainer but may I offer three alternatives, the Telemaster 40 and the Sig Senior or Seniorita.

I used to import Telemasters into Europe. I still have three but two of them are awaiting attention. They are easy to fly but their detractors would say that they tend to float on landing approach. I say it's just a question of getting used to their flying characteristics!

The Senior and Seniorita are the same model, the Seniorita just being a smaller version of the Senior. What is different about them is that they are three-channel models, they do not possess ailerons. I have found, over the years that an elderly beginner is often better off with a three-channel model because they are automatically stable in the roll axis, I'll concede that once having learned how to fly a three-channel model, the beginner then has to learn how to fly with ailerons. On the other hand, it appears that you can already fly a helicopter, so orientation should not be a problem for you and in these days of buddy boxes, you should be alright with the Kadet LT 40 which is available both as a kit and as an ARTF.

Your choice but I wouldn't recommend a Piper Cub as a trainer. They are not quite so easy to fly as appears to be the case. Keep it as your second or third model.

Happy Landings