Thread: Jet legend F18
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Nice looking. However, you being new to jets:

I saw one just like that go into the dirt this year. I think it had about 3 flights on it. For that design, it was hard to come up with a sufficient amount of power to make it reasonably flyable and still keeping the weight below the point of diminished return. It dropped like a rock when the pilot backed off the power and he was heavily into the throttle all the time just to keep it in the air. Also, it was very difficult to get a good landing, just like a lot of the scale jets. Lots of wing load. Also, the pilot needed more experience with jets to be able to better react to the above conditions.

If you want to have best success with Jets, I recommend getting a trainer jet (e.g. Boomerang, Excalibur, etc.) and put a lot of stick time on that before trying to fly this one. There is a lot to learn (technical and piloting) when making the jump from piston to turbine. Picking out a jet that flies like a piston plane lessens the learning curve, somewhat. Jumping into an F-18 as a first jet is like the brand new pilot starting out with a warbird.

Also, I would recommend that you get linked up with a group of Jet Guys. Not any one of them will know it all. But collectively you can learn a lot from each of them, really fast, and save a lot of $s as you are learning. You may want to consider spending some time just being their spotter and watching what they do. Maybe if you are lucky one of them will put you on the buddy box and let you feel what you are getting into.
+1

exactly what I did.

TB