RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fun AIR 3D 40
Thread: Fun AIR 3D 40
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 09:34 PM
malcolmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun AIR 3D 40

Finally got a couple of days to put some flights (about a dozen) on my Fun Air.

So far I really like this plane. I've got an OS FX 46 in the plane. My previous fun fly type plane was a Somethin' Extra. The lighter weight of the Fun Air is really noticable, it accelerates out of a hover, the SE would only slowly climb out. The right prop really makes a difference, an APC 11.5 X 4 or 12.25 X 3.75 seems to be the best.

Hovering is much easier with the Fun Air than on the SE. If I fall out of the hover I can use the excess engine power to get back into the hover. Inverted requires a little less down elevator than the SE. I haven't been able to knife edge much so far. On the SE I needed full rudder and full throttle to hold it level, the Fun Air doesn't need much rudder. However, there is more coupling on the Fun Air than the SE. I have got enought aileron travel, and my CG is at the front of the recommended range, so spins aren't much good yet. Touch and goes are easy, even though all I have at the tail is some hard plastic secured by double sided tape.

I plan to move the battery behind the wing to move the CG to the back of the recommended range. I find the transparent covering very hard to see, I've already added a bright orange stripe, I will be adding some bright yellow to make it easier to see.
I wish the fuel tank was a little bigger, 8 oz would be nice.

Assembling the plane wasn't too bad. Quality of the plane was good, but the holes for the wing bolts and the landing gear weren't quite right. Hardware is poor, the threaded rods in my kit were already rusting. Worse, a pin in one of the clevis's had fallen out, the others don't look too secure. I replaced the dowel to the elevator with a Sullivan golden rod, works great and the clevis's are of course much better.

Overall though, I would strongly recommend this plane. It's very reasonably priced, so you can afford to buy better hardware if you want. I like it so much I may pick up another one at Jet Hobbies