RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wonder if it will ever be back...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
OK chaps let’s not start getting hysterical about the Elefant, onagonda, I see you keep up to date on the US tank collection the Tiger I, you are referring to was returned to the US more than 3 years ago this was covered on the forum along with pictures of it being restored at an army base along with the rest of the collection, keep up chap.

The Elefant is on loan to Bovington who are opening a Tiger display at Easter 2017 along with Bovingtons own Tiger I, Jagdtiger (P) Tiger II (P) and Tiger II(H) how long it will be there for I don’t know but rest assured it will be returned when the agreed loan ends so no need for wild fairy tales.

In recent years the Elefant along with the rest of the collection has been in storage away from the public at least this way people will get to see the Elefant and so will all of you by means of pictures on tinternet along with Bovingtons own collection, I doubt very much that any restoration work will be carried out as has been said parts will be very difficult to find and would have to come from Russia not to mention Bovington has its hands full with its own collection.

The Maus this was only ever going to be a pipe dream to restore this to running condition otherwise the Russians would have done this years ago when they captured the thing, the hull and turret are empty meaning all parts would have to be built from scratch as one offs which would consume a vast amount of €uros, from what I heard Kublinka decided to use the money to restore the T28 to running condition bringing an end to the Maus project.
I have no issue with it being "loaned" to our cousins across the pond, just as long as we get her back.