RCU Forums - View Single Post - Band Saw Blade Recommendation and Setup
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 12:19 PM
pappy35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Band Saw Blade Recommendation and Setup

Band saw neophyte here. I recently bought a Craftsman 10" saw and am having some trouble getting smooth cuts.

I have zero experience setting one up so, as we all seem to do these days, I trolled YouTube and watched a bunch of set up videos (movie analogy, Matrix, Trinity: "Tank, I need a pilot program for a B212 helicopter."). My eyelids fluttered, and I figured I was all set to go. Videos like Carter's Alex Snodgrass for example was really good.

No dice. I've tried 6TPI, 18TPI raker, and 24TPI 1/4" blades, set the guide bearings just so, and regardless I'm still getting uneven cuts. I've cut all kinds of wood like 1x4 pine, 1/4 5-ply birch, 1x2 cedar, 1/8" lite-ply, balsa. I've varied the feed pressure (speed). I'm kinda at wits end. Seems like no matter what I do I get fine striations through the thickness that are 1/64" - 1/32" deep and about 1/32" wide (or long)

I was really hoping to get table-saw-like cut quality in these thin materials we use but so far these striations are kicking my butt.

Before I go out and get another blade (or throw the thing out the window), what do you folks recommend for either a blade, a setup spec, or both? I still have a couple of more blades to try but I'm reluctant to install them as I'm starting to believe the problem is either me or the saw.