View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Looking for the name of a pilot.

1. A very high-scoring ace.

2. Began his military service in the signal corps.

Top_Gunn; didn't all the American trained aces of WWI begin in the Signal Corps? Like Rickenbacker, Luke and Werner? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Aviation Section, Signal Corps, was themilitary aviation service of the UnitedStates Army from 1914 to 1918, and a direct statutoryancestor of the UnitedStates Air Force. It absorbed and replaced the Aeronautical Division, Signal Corps, and conductedthe activities of Army aviation until World War I, when itsstatutory responsibilities were suspended for the duration of the war. TheAviation Section organized the first squadrons of the aviation arm andconducted the first military operations by United States aviation on foreignsoil.

Frank Luke Jr. (May 19,1897 – September 29, 1918) was an American fighter ace, rankingsecond among U.S.Army Air Service pilots after Captain EddieRickenbacker in number of aerial victories during World War I(Rickenbacker was credited with 26 victories, while Luke's official score was18). Frank Luke was the first airman to receive the Medal of Honor. LukeAir Force Base, Arizona, a U.S. Air Force pilot traininginstallation since World War II, is named in his honor.

Joseph Frank "Fritz" Wehner (20 September 1895 – 18 September 1918) was an American fighter pilot andwingman to Frank Luke.