RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where Have All The Kits Gone ?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

[TABLE="class: tborder user-postbit-left-user, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"] Having decided to reduce the dihedral I had to make up two new plywood dihedral braces; these are shown below the original brace supplied with the kit. Except for the joint with the wing rib at the end of the brace, I have decided not to cut slots in the brace to produce a housing(?) joint as per the original kit, but to simply butt-join the centre section ribs to the dihedral braces using slow-setting epoxy. If I add gussets to the joint, bearing in mind that the centre section is fully sheeted, I feel sure that be strong enough.

To increase the glueing area I filled the space between two main hardwood spars with scrap balsa.

The wing ribs in the centre section are arranged in four pairs which I have glued together using aliphatic glue.

Having glued the dihedral braces to the starboard wing half and having allowed the slow setting epoxy to dry all day, the two wing panels were then clamped together while the epoxy set overnight. The space between the braces was then filled with scrap 4mm (3/16" )balsa. This has resulted in a dihedral of about 2.2cms or a little under an inch, under each wing tip. Is everybody else's building board as untidy as mine?

I am leaning towards finishing the model in a WW1 Russian scheme and using the original overly large fin and rudder supplied with the kit. I quite fancy a skull and cross bones on the back!

[h=1]Images[/h] View all Images in thread

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]