RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 10:41 AM
hipik634

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
Take your victories where they appear.....you have an engine that runs for 10 minutes without quitting and it looked like it idled nice too. I agree the plane flies like a dream but there is a learning curve for takeoff and landing even when everything works.

I thought it was pretty smart of you to leave the gear up and slide it in on the frost. I put the gear down on my last deadstick and that is how I busted up the wing.

Hang in there, I think I have chased out my gremlins and I'm sure we will get a video of a smooth landing from you one of these days.

this engine is a new one, this one doesnt have the issues of the previous one with broken bearings, runs perfect even while the temperature was around freezing point. I just had to start it on the back.

I've already made a few tries with gear down and all of them were quite destructive for the wing and while this was a planned "emergency" landing, I chose to keep it up, because the ten second for deployment were something I wasn't planning to count in. I had enough worries to keep the speed high enough not to stall.

If the engine would run I would use flaps and gear. I had also trouble with the servo for rudder, it was somehow beaten by the freeze, I got full left and only a quarter to right, that was for me enough to fly it - hard for the takeoff though. But another factor for choosing safe belly landing ...