RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 AM
JK13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

desertrat65
On my Tomahawk Wilga I had the need for a number appendages and did not want these to get broken during transport.
What I came up with is to use nesting telescoping thin-wall aluminum tubes about 3/4 inch long - (you can get tube stock from hobby suppliers look for Midwest branded alum tubes but get the thin-walled ones)
in the bottom of each tube I epoxied a neodymium magnet (had to find/purchase a number of these 1/8 to 3/16 thick discs to find the perfect fit for the ID of the various sizes of tubes)
Make sure to have the mag polarity correct so they attract when you slip the smaller tube with mag in bottom into the outer tube with mag in bottom.
Note - do not slip these together until the outer one is mounted in wing/fuse and the inner one has your arial as you won't be able to pull them apart!
I used hysol to glue in the outer tube flush with the surface - when done, glue your arial into the smaller tube and this will slip into the fuse/wing mounted outer tube and connect to the magnet with a confident snap.
Its a boy/girl thing!

Very secure and easy to just pull out.

I also have used carbon tubes and this can work as well.

Hope this might work for you??

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3838.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2195828  

Last edited by JK13; 01-07-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: ADD Pic