RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
And yet I know of not one but two different forums catering to the restoration of vacuum tube radios/tvs that are not only thriving , they are populated mostly by these "millennials" that you claim are nowhere to be found .....
Name them? Thanks!

These millennials on those sites? Hackers ...... errr I mean Makers ..... right ????

When they can reach literally millions of disinterested folks via today's social media , why bother with reaching thousands on ham radio ?
Radio takes a little work, I mean you have to GO OUTSIDE AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.
Why bother when all you have to do is press an icon, right? .... social media is for the lazy folks!

it's the whole club scene the youngsters are avoiding ?
Yup ..... they are avoiding meeting people face to face ..... not developing very important social skills needed to interact with people in person, opting instead to bury their face into the screen of a cell phone/table/computer.

PS . and further as to ham radio , maybe the whole "QSO contest" atmosphere where it's numbers of contacts , rather than quality of those contacts , is part of what keeps folks from participating ?
If you believe the Amateur Radio and the ARRL is only about " QSO Contesting " then you do not know the ARRL or Amateur Radio.

Bottom line = It's pretty darned selfish to go demanding today's youth shun modern technology and instead follow "the old ways" .
I hear they are no longer teaching cursive writing to children in public schools ...... " old technology " and all that. Right? I mean who need to know how to write a letter in long hand anymore.

Last edited by harcosparky; 01-09-2017 at 09:08 AM.