RCU Forums - View Single Post - The most beautiful O.S engines ever made
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by controlliner
Seriously? not in the least......I just believe that OS used to produce excellent engines that were show and go. Nowadays I question their quality. The last straw was when they stopped putting phospher bronze valve seat inserts in the four stroke heads. Now the valve runs directly in the cast aluminum and the valve seat is cut in the aluminum head and is plated. It saddens me how people are loyal to an engine manufacturer that keeps cutting corners in design quality to improve their profit margin and not pass on some of their savings to the loyal consumer. Fox manufacturing would still be producing powerful engines if it were not for other manufacturers forcing them to bow out. Think about it. OS is saying give me your money sucker and i'll give you a mediocre engine with an awesome carb.
I understand where your coming from man, you make a good point.
the only OS engine that has peeled on me so far is my 46ax that has over a 150 hard running flights on it mounted on a Hangar 9 twist with a tower muffler running Cool Power 30% heli, I rang that motor out hard, really hard, and the spot where the liner is peeling is very small, you can tell it's just started.
when it comes to replacing piston and liners on a OS, I would rather find that same motor second hand that has very low hours, most times you can find the 46ax gently used cheaper than you can replace the piston and sleeve, that's no joke.
And as far as OS 4 strokes, I have never owned one and never will, what's the point when there is Saito, and if money isn't an issue there is YS, OS four strokes have terrible power to weight ratios compared to the competition, but there 2 strokes have never let me down, there light and powerful and easy to tune, and they hold a tune nicely, and if I can get 150+ flights out of an OS before the liner starts to give out, then I'd say I got my money's worth out of it.