RCU Forums - View Single Post - Firebird JET Trainer: Another Dr Honda budget build.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I've had a little free time over the last week, so I've been busy in the garage. I've managed to get the Firebird converted over to Jeti... and get the engine swapped out. I've also converted my ShockJet to Jeti, and a few of my other non-turbine models.

The Jeti conversion went easy. The biggest thing was just learing the menus, and how things are handled Vs. Spektrum. For the guys thinking about Jeti... I REALY like the menus, and that you can see the Rx, and program it via the Tx. Things like Failsafe are programmed directly, and you can see the position of any surface.

As far as the engines... I was a little disappointed in the K45. Not in the engine itself... but it's not as compact as the Wren. The engine itself is heavier, but that's to be expected since the valves are internal. BUT, the mini vavles that are with most Wren 44's are only a few grams each. Also, the new Kingtech ECU... while it is VERY cool... it needs a 3s LiFe battery. AND, since it needs enough current to run the starter, and burner... we are looking at a SIGNIFICANTLY bigger battery to run it. So, I went from a 2s 1800mah LiPo, to a 3s 2100 Life. Because of this... the "Installed Weight" is around 3/4lb heavier with the Kingtech. OK... on this model... it's not a big deal, since it has the physical space, and the wing area to handle it. But, I was really hopping to keep this closer to a 1:1 trust:weight.

OK, with that said... here's a few pics. You can see that the Kingtech is shorter overall... but it's fatter. Both in girth, and in weight. The nozzle is almost 76mm on the Kingtech, and 73mm on the Wren. Because of that... I do not think that the wren pipe will work with the kingtech. It's an augmented pipe, and the diameter on the bell mouth may be a little small. I think it will be happier with a "60" sized pipe.

I'm glad I swapped out the engine, because of the lighter weight of the 44... it will work better in my Habu.

We have a freak 60 degree day, but it's raining. I'm hoping to get a test run on it today if there's a break in the clouds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2982.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2231751

Name:	IMG_2983.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2231752

Name:	IMG_2984.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2231753

Name:	IMG_2986.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	2231754

Name:	IMG_2987.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2231755

Last edited by Dr Honda; 09-13-2017 at 03:19 AM.