RCU Forums - View Single Post - Desert Fox Pinion Troubles
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Bajamatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desert Fox Pinion Troubles

Hey folks,

Newb here so my apologies in advance if I sound like an idiot....

I bought a Desert Fox from Hobby King for my kid. The guy at the hobby store was in the process of swapping out the motor for a 4 pole brushless motor, so we bought the rig as-is and took over the process. It's super fun, for 2-4 minutes then we strip the gear. I spent a long time last night working on a good mesh with paper between the gears until it felt right, and then we ran it for a few minutes this AM and it was great until I tried to run it in reverse to whip the car around (see above note about sounding like an idiot....). I recall running these as a kid and being able to do that - but this time it immediately stripped out the gear. I have spare gears (this is not the first one we have ruined) but before I go through the process of replacing it again and destroying another one I thought I would seek advice from experienced people. So I have some questions:

1. Is this common?
2. Did I mess up by hitting reverse at speed (on loose dirt)?
3. Given that this is NOT the stock motor, is it possible my pinion gear is improperly matched?
4. Is there a place I can go to have someone help me get this right (Los Angeles)?

Thanks for the advice/assistance.