RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobby People going out of Business
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
Aeroworks, Hobby People. I wonder who will be next?
Hi fliers1 ,

When I read Hobby People's "about us" on their webpage it appears they are (were ?) 4 retail stores + internet sales . Aeroworks was even smaller , a tiny company competing for folk's hobby dollars amidst the already mentioned Hobby King and other high volume/bottom dollar establishments . It's been said 10 billion times that folks will buy something they are looking for the absolute cheapest way possible and there is just no way a small company can compete in that environment . It seems the strongest hobby suppliers are the ones who have a different larger business , with the making of hobby products for us as a side business . Futaba with their industrial automation and DuBro with their fishing equipment come to mind here . If I recall didn't Aeroworks specialize in 3D type of model airplanes ? I do recall just before the drone fad hit that it was 3D that was the latest & greatest and I recall just about everyone was selling 3D planes with Aeroworks being said to have been among the best designed/built . But then along came the drone thing and suddenly 3D wasn't the financial darling it had been and so the demise of Aeroworks , a small company supplying a segment of a hobby that changes with each new development in technology .

I think in the future there will be even more company consolidation in the likes of Horizon & Hobbico because that will be the only way a company will stay afloat , be an "all things to all people" supplier for all things hobby related (RC trucks , boats , and etc along with the RC planes & drones) ....