RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM
tejasnumu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donnyman, you have a number of years on me. I was born towards the end of WWII. I like your concept. Don't know how the folks that monitor forums will react to stuff folks have to say that might be construed as negative. I joined AMA when I built my first slope plane. I didn't know how to fly proportional or any other radio control or input. I bought an Orbit from a guy making them in Irvine or Orange. That was about 1971 but I had been building stick and tissue rocks for a number of years but I had no mentors and I had no idea what CG was. I was making some pretty ceiling hangers but it was up hill all the way. One neat thing was an old blacksmith told me if I couldn't find Ambroid or Testors, I could melt the color clear tooth brushes and fill a Mason jar with Acetone (he repaired canoes with it.) I was 12 and bought a surplus ship raft in San Pedro. Had enough balsa and glue to build just about anything except they wouldn't fly. I drug it about a mile before a fella in a truck took me almost all the way home (miles and miles.) He asked if I was "putting out to sea." I said I was gonna build model planes. He looked at me like I was crazy. What topics do your think you would like to see from interested old folks. Gosh, I just realized; we are living history or maybe tarpits.