RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pd1
Good guess but not the one I was looking for.
Here's a couple more clues.

1. It first flew in 1917.
  2. It was faster than the rest of it's class.
  3. The engine used for the prototype became unavailable for production, which led to a number of different engines used, V12, and V8 liquid cooled and a radial aircooled.
  4. After the war the plane saw quite a few variants including a two seat version , a four place cabin tourer, and a floatplane.
  5. It was used by 13 countries, some used it all the way to WW II.
  6. Irish Air Service- Operated one (purchased in November 1921 to allow Michael Collins to quickly escape back to Ireland in the event of a breakdown in the negotiations for the Anglo-Irish Treaty.
Since you seem to be in a rush, I'll have a guess. How about the Martinsyde Type A? Although the clues don't quite match up, of course. Thanks; Ernie P.

The National Army Air Service was independent Ireland'sfirst air force. During the Anglo-Irish Treaty talks of 1921, a Martinsyde Type A Mark IIbiplanewas purchased and put on 24-hour standby at CroydonAirport to allow Michael Collins to escape back to Ireland if thetalks failed. The plane was not needed for this mission, and it became thefirst aircraft of the new National Army Air Service arriving in June 1922.The National Army Air Service was established in July 1922 and was graduallyequipped with various aircraft types acquired from the R.A.F.and the Aircraft Disposal Company.This company had been formed in 1919 to dispose of surplus aircraft andaero-engines from World War I for the British Government. By the end of 1922,the National Army Air Service comprised ten aircraft, consisting of six BristolF2B fighters from the FirstWorld War and four Martinsyde F4 Fighters, and about 400 men. Itssuccessor, the Irish Army Air Corps was established in 1924 following are-organisation of the National Army at the end of the Civil War.