Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Felixstowe F.2

I think this is it
Sparky
You are so close I will give it to you..! This is actually the Felixstowe F3 that followed it. Well done. I became aware of the aircraft when my sister sent an old photo, taken at a dock in Winnepegosis, Manitoba. Tied up is a Felixstowe F3 with the Canadian registration mostly showing on the right rear fuse. I searched the registration and discovered the Felixstowe aircraft, previously know nothing about them.

We are certain that our dad is one of the boys in the small crowd that gathered around. He can't tell us, he would have been 100 this past Tuesday and is long gone. He was always intensely interested in aviation, and had a job as a teenager in the same town helping a pilot maintain, fuel/oil warm up his floatplane (no idea what). He went on to become a squadron leader with RAF bomber command 100 group, Pathfinders, and there are three months in 1944 in his service record that simply says "operations off base" which would indicate classified missions as far as I know. He later continued his radar career with TransCanada Airlines before joining Decca Navigator. He kept to the War Secrets Act and never talked about his activities during the war, only that he fixed radar. After many years of talking about it, my brother and I are now planning a trip to the UK to spend a couple of weeks researching his records before one of us kicks the bucket and we never get around to it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felixstowe_F.3