RCU Forums - View Single Post - A-10 aerofoil/ aerofoils
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 01:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I see that Mike's version uses a ClarkY style airfoil too. And there's no doubt that it would be easier to build.

Mike's version is a fair bit smaller than your version. In his case being able to use a larger prop might play a significant part. But I suspect it is primarily because he chose to use a glow engine instead of electric motors. If you are thinking of a glow engine for power than it does provide the benefit of only one engine to start. On the other hand if you are considering electric power I still feel there is some considerable advantage to going with a twin motor setup.

First off the mass of the motors will be a lot closer to the CG location. So even though there would be two motors the more forward location should eliminate the need for some amount of nose weight due to the closer distance. And that means an overall lighter model. Another bonus would be that centralizing the mass will also result in a smoother handling model in response to pitch inputs. And finally you would not have the same limit on the flaring angle during landing that the wire whisker forces to avoid the prop striking.

But that's only if you are planning on electric power. If you are going with a glow engine than a pusher makes a lot of sense. Or even to mount it in the nose since both are about the same distance from the CG location.