RCU Forums - View Single Post - New big Ripmax Xcalibur (Xcalibur+)
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last weeks I could fly a lot because of calm weather and good vis. With every flight I like it better! Good handling, I now make many close to full stall landings with the tail boom skid (own mod) scraping the concrete. Most jets I fly with a little itch in my belly but this one is getting close like when I am flying my tow planes, with which I have thousands of flights.

My last mod was reducing the rudder deflection on the "opposite" rudder:
Eg, when You give full left rudder to make a knife edge: I reduced the max left deflection of the RIGHT tail boom's rudder. Of course same with right rudder, I reduced the left boom's right rudder deflection. (like the front wheels of any car do a different deflection when turning.)
Those magnificent computer transmitters came 50 years too late!!! My first impressions are that the tendency to roll INTO the turn like it did before during knife edge, almost disappeared. (Normal fuse planes tend to roll OUT of the turn during knife edge when not countered with aileron).

The mod with toe-out rudders with full flap(air brake) is recommendable, there is enough aerodynamic braking to make a short circuit with an idle descent possible with a steeper descent as normal. I like those better as sneaking in with a flat angle. The deflection is about 20 degrees.
Just a little downward elev mix is needed but I also have the ailerons moving during flaps usage.
I am progressing with more in flight manouvres, like outside loops, flick rolls and improving my stall turns. Like with prop A/C I did the stall turn with idle power, but with a jet it is better to leave some 1/3 power on, and it works! A friend advised me on this.

So here is a summary of the mixers:
Aileron: No differential. (edited)
Rudders full left: right boom less deflection (about 80% of the left one), rudders full right, Left boom 80% deflection.
Nose wheel on a separate channel, so that You can trim it with another trim wheel (most modern transmitters this can be directed to another wheel) and it does not influence the rudder(s) itself.
Nose wheel mixer from rudder commands, but reduced angle and at reduced speed.
The rudder/nosewheel mixer ITSELF is activated by the gear switch: gear up: the nose gear automatically centers and remains there during flight, no matter what You are "ruddering".

Neutral flap, controls centered: all normal.
Half flap, both ailerons DROOP some 10-15 degrees, plus a few degrees ELEV down. This allows for a high lift grass T/O
Full Flap: both ailerons move back to some 15 degrees UP, rudders go toe-out some 20 degrees, slightly more ELEV down. So there is some "crow mixing" here, plus the toe-out. Great for high drag finals.
(ELEV compensation is just a general statement, they have to be flown in with test flights to find the fitting value with each flap setting for Yr plane.)

ELEV/Wheel brake mix, starts to brake with about 25% into elev DOWN. MAX with full down. The mixer ITSELF is activated by the gear switch, Gear DOWN activates the mixer so I don't have brake commands in flight during acro, casing to loose air pressure.

If You are not accustomed to more complex mixing: program and testfly one by one, not all the same time. Try the next only after the first one is working fine.

Good luck!

Last edited by richbran; 04-02-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Aileron differential corrected