RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-20 or 21
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 PM
mustangherb
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience so far with a plane I picked up recently that had a extreme low time Saito FG-20 was right inline with most of the problems talked about on the forums. My engine even still has the original carb. Call me stubborn, but I went to work to see if I could get the engine to run correctly. I pulled the engine from the plane to install it on the stand and the first thing that I discovered on the very first run on the stand was studder in the engine if I moved the ignition module. After some investigation I discovered an error from the factory in the crimping of the wires onto the pins in the plug of the pickup. After correcting that problem the engine studder cleared up, but the midrange still needed work. It took me two things to fix this problem. One I installed fuel barbs & zip ties on all the tank lines inside and out. Secondly I played a round with the tank placement and now the engine is running great in all the flight conditions in the plane. I must admit that I was worried after reading some of the horror stories, but you just have to ensure that the fuel system is tight(I installed fuel barbs), the module plugs are crimped correctly and that you get the fuel tank placement right. I must admit that after reading through this threads that I seriously had my doubts about the engine, but I flew the plane several times today and the engine is running fantastic.