RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF P-40 tip stall
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well if you were trying to land without flaps, that is most likely why it stalls out. I have flown my P-51 several times and had to use flaps to land it, or it would just flip over. I also discovered that it uses very little elevator, too much and it snaps over in a high speed stall, which wrecked it once. The only heavy metal plane that lands without flaps is my H9 P-47, it has such a huge wing that it lands like a trainer(as long as a building doesn't leap out and smack it). I also have a Twin Otter and that one needs flaps for landing too.

So do the aileron trick, verify that the elevator is at low rates while flying, and use flaps when landing and you will find the plane lands a lot easier. If you have never flown with flaps, suggest the 3 mistake high approach. Drop flaps and slow the plane down until you see it get flaky then increase throttle until you have it slow but fully under control. When testing the speed, make sure you have your finger on the flap switch so you can get them back up quickly to increase speed, if you slam the throttle open with flaps deployed it could balloon on you and cause it to further stall. Once you get comfortable with the planes speed with the flaps and gear down, then try your landing approach at the same settings, and when just a few feet above ground, chop throttle and let it land.