RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF P-40 tip stall
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 10:31 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mashp39
Thanks. The longer this runs the more knowledge that comes along..

Yes indeed I agree

Here is an example of the point I was making in post #7 about the up reflexing of ailerons and/or flaps to effect a reduction in lift with out the drag and its set up on my Great Planes Cherokee arf in the top set of pictures. The flaps are set up on a three position switch and the positions are in full trail - down (about 30 degrees) - and up reflex about 5 degrees. There is a flap to elevator mix that applies a slight down elevator when the down position is selected. The up reflexing is just for fun to experiment with and not needed on the Cherokee but illustrates the spoiler action without the extra drag.

Now the next set of pictures you might find interesting. The airplane is my turbine Super Viper and the flaps are two position First there is takeoff flap just a bit over 20 degrees and of course there is an elevator mix that applies just a bit of down elevator when the takeoff flaps are set, now things get interesting when full flap is applied for landing even a bit more down elevator is applied but with this three way mix about 5 degree of up aileron mix is applied!

This is most needed on this airplane an enables it to operate on smaller fields with lots of drag provided by the full down flap and a reduction of lift provided by the spoiler action of the ailerons. This enables the airplane to maintain a small amount of throttle throughout the approach and vital because of the typically slow throttle response of the turbines.

Hope you find this interesting mashp39

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PA-28 flaps.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	2200734   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA-28 flaps 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	2200735   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA-28 flaps 1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2200736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Viper flaps.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2200737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Viper flaps 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2200738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Viper flaps 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	2200742  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.