RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is best motor for 1/12 miss llamar hydro
Old 02-12-2017, 01:45 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1/8" "wire' drive is one of the best if not THE BEST drive system out there - last I heard there was about 35 boats running it - including inline twins

It's the most advanced and proven more rpm and less friction.. I have not heard or ANYONE breaking a Byers wire drive yet including FE boats. I;m sure if you actually talk to Mr. Finch he will tell you that as well.

It's well know on couple of 'other sites' that it's the pinnacle of drive systems. I'd never even consider a 3/16" drive on any gas boat - 1/4" is the standard - but the 1/8" Byers wire drive is the best.. Below is info about the drive

I'm posting this to provide some technical information and not as a for sale post although one of those will come soon enough.

Here's some basic info about the system:

• The shaft is precision ground (0.0002") and polished and is made of a VERY high strength corrosion resistant steel
  • The stub shaft is precision ground (0.0002") and is made of heat treated stainless steel. The drive dog flat is pre-cut.
  • The collet insert is made of heat treated stainless steel, has very thin slots to maximize surface contact with the shaft. It fits the Zipp "Super" style collet. The collet will support 10 lb-ft of torque.
  • The stuffing tube is hard anodized 7075 aluminum and has machined composite sleeve bearings periodically spaced inside. The stuffing tube material has almost twice the yield strength of K and S brass tubing while being only 1/3 the weight. The tube diameter is 9/32" instead of 5/16" for less drag.
  • The struts are equipped two ways: 1) with 3, Japanese made, 440c stainless ball bearings (two rear, one front) or 2) with Teflon bronze sleeve bearings. The struts are modified Speed Master parts and have an oil injection port.

A few benefits:
  • MUCH less friction than a cable. Shaft surface speed is cut in half and contact area is greatly reduced
  • Saves about 1/4 lb on most boats
  • 400-600 more RPM on top and 3-4 MPH....determined by back to back testing.
  • Better acceleration out of mill
  • Basically, a lot more of the power your engine is already making gets to the prop.

A few drawbacks:
  • The system requires a single, large radius stuffing tube bend. Most riggers, hydros, monos and thunderboats can be retrofitted, but will require the stuffing box and engine mounting to be reworked. The system is not recommended for cats or other boats that require a small radius bend in the stuffing tube. Careful engine alignment is required.

https://youtu.be/mfdUGwr1ihI