RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Do I Get Started?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 AM
skip2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching videos, reading forum posts and reviewing what was posted here and I am still at a loss (on some aspects).

Just to clarify if I buy a HL with all plastic (the $90 version) it will shoot Airsoft BB's and would be ok for a 12 year old to run around the yard and learn with? Upgrading to metal parts after the purchase price seems to be expensive; is it worth investing in it?

I really like the idea of the IR battles and will be bringing my son down to the March event: we should be there around 11 on Friday night (historical miniatures society has a show in Lancaster that weekend; we will hit it on Friday then head down to VA).

For this event will there be club representatives from the local areas that I can meet with and learn about their clubs and membership?

Is there a way to rent/try a tank to make sure I like it before spending the $600 to $800 for a combat ready one?

If I buy a Tamiya or a Taigen I am assuming I am ahead of the game. The Tamiya come ready for battle but the Taigen I need to add a IR system?

It looks like metal tracks are about $150 and up to buy after the fact: I assume it is worth buying the tank with this already included?

Do the tanks use 3 or 4 channel radio control units? I have a friend that has some used airplane controls and boards that he does not use anymore. Are these compatible with the tanks?

My son has decided his favorite tank is a Tiger (he does not care about the version); I need to find one for him before his birthday on the 27th. I know I am pushing it but I am trying to make an informed purchase and not regret it later on. The linked Tiger on Ebay looks like shiny plastic and very much like a toy. Is this to be expected from the HL tanks? I have no problem repainting them and adding details; I just want to be comfortable with the purchase.

I am leaning toward a Jagdtiger if I can find one that I can afford or something other than the standard heavy German armor that people seem attracted to. Maybe a DAK PZIII or PZIV? Are there any affordable US dealers that I should be looking at? Am I better looking on Ebay? Do I want to buy from Europe for a better variety?

I know I am missing a lot of information and rambling on here but I am trying to get everything together in my mind.

Thanks,

Skip