RCU Forums - View Single Post - YS user seeking sympathetic ears :(
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default YS user seeking sympathetic ears. 170cdi problem(s) solved!!

I've really wanted to hold off on this until the engine got sorted but it's just dragging on with no end in sight.

After a horror 9 months months with my nice new DZ170cdi back in late 2010 - mid 2011, things went really well for years with the resulting combination of new and original parts, feeding it 20% nitro 10% oil, bearings, rings, o-rings and gaskets, taking me from our Advanced class through to F3A over a period of four years.

In late 2015, the idle got a little lumpy the weekend before a comp and the 1500ft drop in elevation didn't help tuning matters, getting worse each round before it backfired to a stop in the 6th round pushing over the Golf Ball in P-15. It wasn't the first time it'd backfired to a stop over the years, as for some reason it's always needed to be set super lean. Full power strip beat-ups with vertical rolling climb-outs to 1000ft were something I'd learned not to do with this engine, but for F3A work it was as perfect as it could get..

It's fair to say my interest in Pattern had been waning, there are four motorcycles of various types in the shed, so sorting out my DZ170cdi wasn't high on the list of things to do but 1.5 years later, countless trips to the flying field, gallons of fuel, almost enough parts to build a whole new engine I'm still no closer to getting this thing running right again.

The other thing I've found during this journey is YS's habit of revising parts but keeping the same numbers means not everything fits together as it used to..

A smarter man probably would have just replaced it with a DZ185cdi by now but it's sort of becoming a battle of wills, although finding the problem and fixing it is now a matter of principle, it's probably just a losing battle.

Anyway, shameless appeal for sympathy over, wish me luck.....

Last edited by bjr_93tz; 06-29-2017 at 07:50 PM.