RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Hi karolh! Having retired to rural France I ran out of glow fuel and had to drive fifty miles to the nearest model shop to buy some more. The model shop is in a big city, Limoges, and I found it difficult to drive my two-tonne VW van through unfamiliar streets and that's not to mention the traffic and finding a place to park, so when I was next back in England, collecting my furniture, I bought twenty-five gallons of glow fuel from Southern Modelcraft which is handily placed between London and Dover. I will have to use all of this up before considering a gas engine!

Having sold my house in England I had a fair bit in the bank so I "invested " in three brand new Laser four-strokes so I'll have to stay with glow fuel for a while longer. Besides, now that many smaller models are now powered by electric motors and given that the larger ones now use gas engines, you can pick up some fine glow engines really cheaply these days. I have bought some good Enyas and Irvines off eBay and a new OS 40 rear exhaust engine from a club colleague.

My club has three ARTF trainers all powered by 40 or 46 two-strokes and a glider tug which uses a Super Tigre 25cc engine. We have recently started blending our own fuel using 11% oil. I thought that this was rather on the low side as the lowest oil content I had previously used was 15% so I checked with Jonathan Harper of Laser Engines to make sure that 11% was sufficient lubricant. He confirmed that 11% was fine given the quality of modern oils.

So when I've used up all of my 15% fuel I'll go over to the club's 11% mix and have a less slimey fuselage to clean!