RCU Forums - View Single Post - YS user seeking sympathetic ears :(
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr_93tz
Hi J-P,
yes these engines seem very difficult to diagnose the cause as many different causes seem to produce the same running problems. Having the tools to test each part is working properly would have saved much time and money. Once it's running well again, I'll hopefully have some good spares..

That being said, this engine did go back to YS factory early in it's life for a warranty repair during the first "horror 9 months" I described in my opening post. The failed rear bearing was easy for YS to diagnose and replace, but the failing cdi sensor was missed and caused me much grief. I was on a steep learning curve with this engine and I had the impression YS didn't want to see it (under warranty) again.

1. On the subject of the cam timing dot, for some reason the English DZ170cdi manual isn't available on the YS Japan website, but the ones available elsewhere on the 'net (and which came in the engine box) says dot pointing down. Dot up/ Dot Down, it swaps position every complete rotation of the crank so it isn't too important which we chose.

However our Japanese friends must laugh at the confusion, because in the Japanese language manuals their position for the dot hasn't changed since the DZ140.
1. http://www.yspower.co.jp/en/data/pdf/dz170.pdf

There's no confusion. It's clear from the manuals that up to and including the 170, the dot is to point up and the 175 and 185 the dot points down.

As to whether it really matters or not according to your 360 degree theory, it still would be a good start to point the dot up as the manual says. Won't hurt and another potential problem avoided.