RCU Forums - View Single Post - Want a 2-axis CNC router... any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:36 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your familiarity with these animals?

If you are inclined you certainly can save some money and build it yourself and get a lot bigger X-Y table. There are varying levels of complexity, ranging from "kits" to buying all the pieces separately. However if you're not inclined to to the hobby-building thing, you can still get some off-the-shelf ones for less than $2500 (CNC-Shark, etc.).

I renovated an old Isel; 2.5D, meaning it's a 2D router with some Z movement. I am using a Hobby CNC board (they're still around, BTW), but given the funds would certainly have gone with Gecko controllers and when I burn the controller out, I'll just switch. But, that's the only regret I have in my build so far.

When shopping, the biggest deal is checking out the software chain it uses and is compatible with. Mine goes: AutoDesk Inventor; AutoDesk CAM; Mach 3. I'm a neophyte with Inventor, however. Mach 3 seems to be pretty dang easy for everything it does and the price. A lot of the of-the-shelf, complete CNC routers use proprietary software. Using Mach 3 to control it (or similar general-controller software), opens up the types of files and custom drawings you can do. Some of the custom controller software might import vector files. This is what I'd look for.

A good place to start on kits is:

https://www.buildyourcnc.com/

TONS of very good tutorials.

Forum: www.CNCZone.com

What drawing software are you using?