RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA EC Mtgs - Now governed by Robert's Rules = accountability & transparency
Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It increases transparency by establishing a set of rules they have to follow. Prior to this, although bylaws said they had to have rules, in fact no such rules exist. Which means the EVP can present something in open session (public) but then ask that it not be shared. Now that they've established rules, they'll have to go about conducting proper meetings (required under sunshine laws in many states and/or tax code - I'm still checking latter). Additionally, expenditures and such should be motioned, seconded, and votes recorded. We see that in aggregate, but not individually. Using RROO also allows us (members) to push our representatives (VPs) to require roll call votes on contentious issues - so we can see who falls on what side of an issue. That helps with accountability.

Absent a set of rules to conduct meetings, they can literally make them up as they go.
I appreciate what you are saying Franklin, but the EC has pulled a lot of surprises to blindside the hoi polloi members, and I can't say that I have expectations that formalizing meeting rules will change things much. Ex.: When Hanson was a DVP and Dave Brown was president, they had pre-meetings between themselves to get a go/no go from Brown on agenda items Hanson had. No go from Brown and the rest of the EC never heard of the proposal, much less discussed it. Rules don't make transparent what they will to do covertly.