RCU Forums - View Single Post - ACE/AAF Battle Weekend Danville VA March 17-19 2017
Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Martellus
I still want to do a multi man, multi turret tank some day.

Those goggles just take an analog signal right? I am curious how a vr headset (with actual depth perception) might be able to be setup with an fpv feed, but worried about signal conversion/delay among other things
These are the Dominator V3 goggles, the module used is an open source diversity 5.8GHz receiver with a Pagoda omni + Patch antenna. It does however accept either the module input, AV analog in, or HDMI input. It also supports 3D as well since each eyepiece is separate and has very nice optics. I have yet to test 3D yet though.
There are plenty of FPV to phone adapters but most all are pretty crappy and have a pretty decent delay. For a piggyback set of goggles they wouldn't be too bad, but for the operator it would be difficult at best IMO. These goggles are not cheap ($380ish before the antennas & module) but there are cheaper alternatives that work almost just as well.
Since FPV is only 640x480 anyways (unless you run the Connex system @ $400!) getting a high resolution screen or even just a large one can actually make things worse. When the screen gets so big that it takes time for your eyes to travel from one side to another instead of seeing the whole screen at once you can start to get headaches for long durations. I have my goggles on for at least 10-15 hours a week and I need something comfortable and portable and splurged for these as an early bday present for myself.

Edit: as for the "actual depth perception" I think you would be very surprised at how you can judge distances even with a 2.5mm lens at 50+ mph The fps of the analog is very smooth and makes up for it IMO a lot. I have not moved over to the Connex system yet due to the price and the size, maybe in another year or so....

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 03-17-2017 at 08:33 AM.